[swift-users] Can't declare variable with same name as func called to assign its initial value

Evan Maloney emaloney at gilt.com
Thu May 12 14:07:31 CDT 2016

Adopting the newer Swift style of preferring first parameter labels, I wrote a function:

    func sale(options options: DeepLinkOptions)
        throws
        -> Sale
    {
        // ...implementation...
    }

I then tried calling it elsewhere, and setting the result to a variable named 'sale', which is coincidentally the same name as the function above:

    let sale = try sale(options: options)

This line won't compile, failing with the following error and a caret pointing at the second use of 'sale':

    variable used within its own initial value

In the past, I would've named the function above according to Objective-C conventions, and it might've ended up with a name like 'saleWithOptions'; there'd be no clash. However, with the more terse Swift 3.0 style, we'll probably end up with more situations like mine.

Is this (should this be?) considered a bug or compiler limitation? Should I file a JIRA? There doesn't seem to be anything for this on bugs.swift.org yet.