[swift-users] Server side swift application ?

Tyler Fleming Cloutier cloutiertyler at aol.com
Sun May 1 13:48:06 CDT 2016

Hi Raphael,

I took a look at the current Kitura (Swift-IBM) code and they appear to be using libdispatch, but only to put there blocking calls off the main queue: https://github.com/IBM-Swift/Kitura-net/blob/master/Sources/KituraNet/HttpServerSpi.swift#L52.

This might be because libdispatch on Linux is not mature, I’m not sure. I haven’t benchmarked it or anything so it might be sufficient for what you are looking for.

I’ve been looking into libuv which is the async IO library that Node.js is built on top of, but you would still have to wrap it in Swift. I’m currently trying to see what it would be like to replicate some of libuv’s functionality with libdispatch. libuv and libdispatch overlap on functionality quite a bit, but libdispatch has the benefit of using a block API instead of a function pointer API, which makes memory management easier in Swift. However, libuv has many additional features for setting up TCP connections and other networking constructs.

Hope that helps a little bit, I’m exploring this area myself!

Tyler