[swift-users] Sporadically undefined symbols during linking

Ryan Conway theconmethod at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 14:28:42 CDT 2016

Daniel, thank you for taking the time to clone the repository and reproduce
the issue yourself.

I was a bit unclear in my last email. The 75% failure chance and 25%
success chance are strictly from clean builds. Once a build fails or
succeeds, it will continue to do so 100% of the time until a clean. (All of
this is assuming no source changes.) I have only experienced this one mode
of failure, as far as I can tell, and when builds succeed, the framework is
generated and code that uses it builds and runs as expected.

I've opened a bug at bugreporter.apple.com with ID 25511119 and clearer
information.

By the way - I didn't mention it in the ticket because I'm not confident it
has anything to do with this issue - but when building previous iterations
of this code with previous versions of Xcode that used Swift 2.1, I saw
reliable compilation failures in which the order of generic type
constraints' members mattered. That is, given the following two protocols:

protocol Foo { typealias Bar }
protocol Baz { typealias Buzz }

This would work:
struct MyGoodStruct<T: protocol<Baz, Foo> where T.Bar == T.Buzz, T.Bar:
IntegerType> {}

And this would not:
struct MyBadStruct<T: protocol<Baz, Foo> where T.Buzz == T.Bar, T.Bar:
IntegerType> {}

As far as I could tell, this had been fixed in Swift 2.2. I bring this up
only because these new linking failures seem to be related to
ostrichframework's Instruction protocol and its implementors.

Thanks again,
Ryan