[swift-users] Comparing POP to OOP

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Tue Mar 8 13:38:47 CST 2016

on Tue Mar 08 2016, Michael Ilseman <milseman-AT-apple.com> wrote:

>>> What makes protocols in Swift different from Java interfaces (or
>>> Objective-C protocols for that matter) is that they support static
>>> polymorphism and generic programming.
>>
>> Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying here, Java
>> interfaces do support generic programming:
>> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/extra/generics/simple.html
>> <https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/extra/generics/simple.html>
>>

> I think “static” is the operative word there.

Actually, “generic programming” are the operative words.  I don't mean,
“does the language have a feature that it calls ‘generics?’”, I mean “does
it support the discipline of generic programming?”

See:

  http://www.osl.iu.edu/publications/prints/2005/garcia05:_extended_comparing05.pdf
  https://books.google.com/books/about/From_Mathematics_to_Generic_Programming.html?id=UqxYBQAAQBAJ

--