[swift-users] Running benchmarks?

Lars Kotthoff larsko at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 3 16:32:05 CST 2016

Hi list,

 I'm trying to run the benchmarks included in the swift repository and I can't
get it to work. I'm following the instructions at https://github.com/apple/swift/tree/master/benchmark

build-script doesn't seem to have a --benchmark flag (unless it's different from
the one used to build swift?). When I try to build them manually and run cmake
as described, I'm getting
CMake Error at cmake/modules/AddSwiftBenchmarkSuite.cmake:18 (message):
  Unable to find Swift driver
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:118 (runcmd)

After setting SWIFT_EXEC (and CLANG_EXEC, which it doesn't find automatically
either -- this requires changing CMakeLists.txt):
cmake -DSWIFT_EXEC=../../../build/Ninja-DebugAssert/swift-linux-x86_64/bin/swiftc -DCLANG_EXEC=../../../build/Ninja-DebugAssert/llvm-linux-x86_64/bin/clang

I'm getting:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:137 (set):
  Syntax error in cmake code at

    /mnt/swift/swift/benchmark/CMakeLists.txt:138

  when parsing string

    A semicolon separated list of benchmark configurations. \

  Available configurations: <Optlevel>_SINGLEFILE, <Optlevel>_MULTITHREADED

  syntax error, unexpected cal_SYMBOL, expecting $end (131)

At this point I don't know what else to try.

How do I compile and run the benchmarks?

Cheers,

Lars