[swift-users] Comparing POP to OOP

Daniel Tartaglia danielt1263 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 21:36:03 CST 2016

And your example is exactly equivalent to the below:

protocol TestProtocol {
	var num1: Int {get set}
	var num2: Int {get set}
}

func doMath(t: TestProtocol) -> Int {
	return t.num1 + t.num2
}

struct MyTypeOne: TestProtocol {
	var num1 = 1
	var num2 = 2
}

struct MyTypeTwo: TestProtocol {
	var num1 = 1
	var num2 = 2
	func doMath() -> Int {
		return num2 - num1

var one = MyTypeOne()
var two = MyTypeTwo()

print("MyTypeOne: \(doMath(one))")
print("MyTypeTwo: \(two.doMath())")

var t: TestProtocol = two
print("TestProtocol \(doMath(t))")

What the protocol extension gives you, all that it gives you, is a different syntax for doing the exact same thing. Where your code shines IMHO is when you want to then use the return value as a parameter to yet another function.

two.doMath().handleResult() is far cleaner, and better expresses what is happening, than handleResult(doMath(one))

All IMHO of course.