[swift-users] Comparing POP to OOP

Jon Hoffman hoffman.jon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 19:13:08 CST 2016

Please excuse my ignorance on ECS.  I did read though the link that you sent and also a few other sites on ECS namely https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity_component_system <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity_component_system> and http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/understanding-component-entity-systems-r3013 <http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/understanding-component-entity-systems-r3013>.  It does appear that ECS design is a lot closer to POP then OOP based on what I read however I may not fully understand ECS.

Lets take a couple of land animals as examples.  If we had a Lion, it would attack either using it’s claws or it’s teeth.  An Alligator would use it’s teeth on land.  A snake or spider would inject venom into it’s victim while some snakes may also squeeze the victim to death.  With ECS, I believe we would have components for each type of attack.  Is that correct?  Then we would add the component that we need to our entity (animal).

If my description is correct, then I believe this is very similar to a POP design where we would use protocols to define the component and protocol extensions to add the functionality.  This would mean we would have the BiteAttack, ClawAttack, VenomAttack and SqeezeAttack protocols with protocol extensions to add the functionality.  Do I understand ECS correctly?  This type of design is very good where we break all of the components down into individual types.

One advantage to using POP to implement ECS is we would define the requirements when we define the animal type.  What I mean by that is we would specify what protocols the type conforms to when we define the type.   This prevents developers from adding the wrong components within the code.  The draw back with using POP would be the type definition could get pretty long because we would need to list all of the protocols that a type needs to conform to.

One point you made, if I understood you correctly, is that with POP we would have larger types as compared to ECS however if we use protocol extensions to add the functionality to our component types, I do not believe our individual animals types would be much bigger than the ECS ones.

Do I understand the ECS design correctly?

Jon