[swift-users] Good things are coming soon in Swift 2.2

David Turnbull dturnbull at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:10:22 CST 2016

On the swift-dev list they announced the 2.2 branch is now under
restrictive change control. If you're been putting off checking it out, I'd
suggest the next snapshot is worth a look.

I did some benchmarks on the last snapshot using a Parks-McClellan filter
design algorithm. The algorithm is heavy on floating point arithmetic with
a little trig while iterating over arrays.

         C:   2.07ms
 Swift 2.2:   2.10ms
 Swift 2.1:   2.70ms
  Go 1.5.2:   2.93ms
Ruby 2.0.0:  85.50ms

Math performance is important to my plans for Swift, so this makes me
happy. Ruby and Go haven't improved on this benchmark in two years.

The Parks-McClellan filter design algorithm is hosted here:
https://github.com/AE9RB/firpm

Unfortunately, compile times are longer in 2.2. But one day we'll have it
all.

-david  https://github.com/AE9RB/SwiftGL