[swift-users] How mailing lists work

Johan Jensen jj at johanjensen.dk
Sun Jan 24 14:31:33 CST 2016

Every mail usually gets a unique Message-ID assigned by either the mail
client or the first mail server. While it often looks like a valid email,
it is only an identifier.
When you reply to an email, the Message-ID of that email gets set as the
In-Reply-To value.
This is the basic of message threading, but most clients have a lot of
extra code to better determine threading.

In the case of mailing lists, you want to send your reply to the email of
the message you’re replying to, as well as the mailing list. You want to
send it to the mailing list, so it can archive your reply on the website as
well as sending copies out to everyone who have subscribed.
Generally this is done by pressing "Reply All" in your mail client, which
sets the mailing list as cc.

I am not aware of a way to reply to archived messages, if you haven't
received the email yourself.

— Johan