[swift-users] Need help with compile times (type inference?)

David Turnbull dturnbull at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 14:25:31 CST 2016

I'm trying to improve compile times in my project. I've been using
"-Xfrontend -debug-time-function-bodies" to find to sore spots. Here's
something that takes 1300ms to compile:

public func ortho<T:FloatingPointScalarType>

    (left:T, _ right:T, _ bottom:T, _ top:T) -> Matrix4x4<T>

{

    let t0:T = T(0)

    let t1:T = T(1)

    let t2:T = T(2)

    let r00:T = t2 / (right - left)

    let r11:T = t2 / (top - bottom)

    let r30:T = -(right + left) / (right - left)

    let r31:T = -(top + bottom) / (top - bottom)

    return Matrix4x4<T>(

        r00, t0,  t0,  t0,

        t0,  r11, t0,  t0,

        t0,  t0,  -t1, t0,

        r30, r31, t0,  t1

    )

}

I'm not sure what to do from here. My program is unavoidably math heavy.
Every new line of code adds about 60ms of compile time. And that's after I
spend time typing in hints and splitting up the arithmetic.

-david  https://github.com/AE9RB/SwiftGL