[swift-users] Design and performance of Vector2/3/4 and Matrix

Michael Gottesman mgottesman at apple.com
Fri Dec 18 17:46:29 CST 2015

> On Dec 18, 2015, at 5:13 PM, David Turnbull via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Janosch Hildebrand via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org <mailto:swift-users at swift.org>> wrote:
> You will also want to have this code in the same module that is using this type.
> If you're using these types from another module you're limited to unspecialized generics which are (unsurprisingly) very slow.
>
> This is becoming clear. Hopefully these patterns can be optimized across modules eventually. It's easy enough to write a pre-processor that expands the generics into four specializations. But it doesn't solve everything so not a priority.

We do want to be able to perform these sorts of optimizations (among others) across module boundaries. The reason that it has not been implemented yet is that the model for when/how one could (for instance) inline across module boundaries is not finalized. This will be possible once the resilience feature is complete.