[swift-users] Using Swift for interpreted shell scripts?

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Tue Dec 15 14:37:06 CST 2015

On Dec 15, 2015, at 1:28 PM, Jens Alfke <jens at mooseyard.com> wrote:
> Swift doesn’t seem like a good fit for the kinds of tasks people write shell-scripts for. It’s a system/app programming language, like C/C++. Scripting languages have extremely dynamic typing, super-high-level APIs, and no separate compile/link stage.

One possible advantage is that it would be relatively easy (instead of nigh-impossible) to have a shell script that interacts efficiently with the GUI.

But yes, this is mostly meant as a way for me to get a handle on the language by writing things I am familiar with and have some investment in.

--
Stone circles were common enough everywhere in the mountains. Druids
built them as weather computers, and since it was always cheaper to