[swift-users] memory requirements for building swift on linux?

Kevin Lundberg kevin at klundberg.com
Mon Dec 14 08:03:36 CST 2015

Hi All,

I've set up a linux VM (ubuntu 15.10) in virtualbox on my windows PC to
build and test swift on linux, but I've been unable to successfully
build it to completion. I have all the repos including the corelibs
cloned locally, and have followed all the steps as far as I know for
installing dependencies. Every time I build, it fails somewhere during
linking, the last time failing when  linking "CXX shared library
lib/libLTO.so".

I don't have the full error, but I'm curious if there's some RAM
requirement for building swift. My VM had 2GB, and I just bumped it up
to 4GB to try again. Has anyone else run into this, and is there a
recommended minimum needed to successfully build swift with? Could
something else be the cause here instead of RAM if 2GB is in fact enough?

Thanks!

-Kevin