[swift-users] REPL failed

Daniel Dunbar daniel_dunbar at apple.com
Thu Dec 10 11:59:50 CST 2015

Actually, I am retracting this suggestion in favor of what I think is a better one:

What if we change the build process to build up a "composed package" as part of the regular build. We would clear this at the start of each build, and then build up the installed compiler + libraries + package manager as each project completed its build (basically just using the same install logic into a side location).

This has a number of benefits:

 - At the end of the build, we have a "build/<config>/bin" directory which has a functioning compiler.
 - Each project in the chain can use the composed build to work with. So for example, the package manager can build with the compiler + xctest as they are expected to look in a package. This would reduce some complexity in our build process, and be more maintainable.
 - This solution scales better if/when we add more projects.
 - This solution also lets the build easily sub in an "prebuilt package" into the build process (it just means pointing at a different composed package).

Thoughts?

 - Daniel