[swift-users] Dynamic linker DT_RPATH

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Thu Dec 10 11:42:43 CST 2015

> On Dec 10, 2015, at 1:43 AM, Ugo Arangino <swift at ua94.de> wrote:

>>> For the initial release, we felt it was more important for things to work locally (and simply) for people downloading our snapshots than to support this and have more complicated installation instructions.
>
> Will this be a solution to install Swift easy and on an appropriate directory?
>  $ wget -O - https://swift.org/install-ubuntu14.04.sh <https://swift.org/install-ubuntu14.04.sh> | bash
>
>>> We also suspected that people would quickly try things like building Docker images with Swift, and this problem doesn't show up for users who are building their projects that way.
>
> An other solution would be, to offer `.deb` packages for `libswiftCore.so` ...
> So other packages can have `libswiftCore.so` ... as package dependency.
> In addition to this the Swift compiler can be offered as `.deb` package, too.
>
> On OS X it is also enough to run the `swift-[...]-osx.pkg` installer.

Ready-to-install packages would be awesome, though it would require someone to implement and maintain that package, and there's still configuration complexity for users who need to install that package, and potentially maintain different versions as Swift's ABI converges. Static linking would avoid all that. The ease of deployment of static libraries seems to be one of the killer features that leads people to suffer programming in Go.

-Joe