[swift-users] Best way to solve ambiguous references to methods

Vinicius Vendramini vinivendra at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 12:20:15 CST 2015

(I should mention I’m trying this in a Playground.)

I think I tried a similar solution at some point, but it doesn’t seem to work. I get two errors out of that cast:

Playground execution failed: /var/folders/1v/42yjnyj16bb16j19q25hzghr0000gn/T/./lldb/13003/playground346.swift:168:27: error: member 'flatten' cannot be used on value of protocol type 'SequenceType'; use a generic constraint instead
let flatArray = (mapArray as SequenceType).flatten() // Error!
/var/folders/1v/42yjnyj16bb16j19q25hzghr0000gn/T/./lldb/13003/playground346.swift:168:30: error: protocol 'SequenceType' can only be used as a generic constraint because it has Self or associated type requirements
let flatArray = (mapArray as SequenceType).flatten() // Error!
                             ^

I can’t seem to find a way to cast it to something that works.

As for the flatMap, I know it’s a valid alternative, but I was trying to make this work just for the understanding you get through exploration of these weird cases.