[swift-users] Getting Started - swift.org - Ubuntu 14.04 installation - dependencies - libicu-dev

Musser, Dale musserda at missouri.edu
Fri Dec 4 17:24:02 CST 2015

I installed Swift on Ubuntu 14.04 according to the instructions on https://swift.org/getting-started/ and ran into the following when running “swift”:

error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

This was resolved by doing:

sudo apt-get install libicu-dev

I think it would be a good idea to add this (and any other dependencies and how to resolve them) on the getting started page on swift.org.

Students (a good audience for open source swift) are likely to run into this problem and it would be good to make it as easy as possible for them to get swift up and running.  The Ubuntu 14.04 was an instance I installed on Linode that had been set up as a web server and I did not as a matter of course have libicu-dev installed.  And, googling  libicuuc.so.52 or the error didn’t immediately get me to the package leading me to believe users make have to work to find how to resolve the missing library.

Dale

--
Dale Musser, Ph.D.
Associate Teaching Professor

Engineering Building North is called Old Student Health Center on the MU maps.  Here is a link to the campus interactive map for the Old Student Health Center:
http://map.missouri.edu/index.html?bldg=37133