[swift-users] emoji in source code failed to compile in linux ubuntu

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Fri Dec 4 15:36:13 CST 2015

The unicode spec is very clear that conforming implementations must
reject any alternative utf-8 encoding, even if it appears to make
sense, because not doing so is a security vulnerability. More
generally, any code point that encodes as 1-3 code units can actually
be rewritten to be encoded as 4 code units (or really, any number of
code units up to 4 that's not less than the canonical encoding). These
are no more valid than encoding surrogate pair code points in utf-8.
The reason why this is considered a security vulnerability is because
any code that attempts to validate or filter a utf-8 stream may not
recognize these alternative encodings, and the validation/filtering can
be bypassed. For example, think of an HTML form validator that
automatically converts < into &lt;. If you passed in an alternative
encoding such as C0 BC, the validator may not recognize it, but if the
browser then interpreted this ill-formed sequence as being the same as
0x3C, you'd have a trivial XSS attack.

More generally, section 3.9 of the Unicode 8.0 standard explicitly lists
the well-formed UTF-8 byte sequences, and this list does not include any
encoding for the surrogate pair range. And conforming implementations
must reject any ill-formed sequence.

-Kevin Ballard