[swift-users] Xcode support for Swift Package Manager

Rick Ballard rballard at apple.com
Fri Dec 4 11:28:39 CST 2015

> On Dec 4, 2015, at 8:41 AM, Nabeel Imtiaz <nimtiazm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to use Xcode along with the Package Manager support?
>
> This is much needed for a large code-base with a lot of dependencies on ext libs. I just tried to use Xcode 7.2 beta (following the instructions on swift.org) but haven’t been able to use Package Manager though.

Hi Nabeel,

The Package Manager is still an early-stage project and is not yet supported by Xcode. One of our near-term goals for the Package Manager is to move to a library-based architecture to allow for IDE integration; you can read about this goal at https://github.com/apple/swift-package-manager/blob/master/Documentation/PackageManagerCommunityProposal.md#library-based-architecture. We are planning to add great support for the Package Manager to Xcode. As Xcode is not part of the open source release, we don't plan to pre-announce a timeline or specific details of that Xcode support until we're ready to provide a beta version of Xcode that has it. We understand that this support is very important to our developer community.

Thank you,

	- Rick