[swift-server-dev] Base Networking, was Re: PR 96 - async server

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Sun Nov 19 18:55:14 CST 2017

On Nov 20, 2017, at 1:04 AM, Tanner Nelson <tanner at vapor.codes> wrote:
> From: https://swift.org/server-apis/
>
> "Base Networking" under "Focus Areas".
>
> This was the first and last meeting: https://github.com/swift-server/work-group/blob/master/meetings/networking/2016-11-04/minutes.md

To be honest I’m a little confused by that. This is over a year ago. Is someone actually working on something at this front?

Are there any plans? (if this was the last meeting I assume no?)

So this is the steering team, "responsible for providing overall technical direction":

	• Chris Bailey (@seabaylea, IBM Kitura)
	• Logan Wright (@LoganWright, Vapor)
	• Paulo Faria (@paulofaria, Zewo)
	• Steve Algernon (@salgernon, Apple)

I would appreciate some steering, and responsibility ;-)

I don’t know, for I/O Foundation already has FileHandle. And GCD has channels. Is either enough? What is the goal, a real streaming library like Noze.io (maybe only supporting byte packets, not arbitrary types)? Is Swift Core doing something along the lines anyways?

Should we maybe just enhance GCD w/ protocols for the operations (so that we can have a TLS channel), and a factory to create specific types (sockets, TLS ones, etc)? That sounds like a relatively low hanging fruit.

hh