[swift-server-dev] Thoughts on the current HTTP API

Cory Benfield cbenfield at apple.com
Fri Oct 13 16:10:43 CDT 2017

> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:08, Helge Heß via swift-server-dev <swift-server-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> I will note that this puts 101 Switching Protocols in a slightly tricky spot, but it’s possible that this API wants to wash its hands of HTTP upgrade (I’d be very sympathetic to that, HTTP upgrade is no fun) and so could choose to disregard it entirely. Otherwise, unlike 100 Continue it turns out that 101 Switching Protocols *really is* a special snowflake that needs to be considered entirely separately.
>
> I think it would be kinda embarrassing if the API wouldn’t support WebSocket upgrade?
>
> hh

Sure, but that doesn’t mean it needs to be supported at this level of the API: it can be considered the special snowflake it is and be handled by the HTTP server, rather than requiring that the user send the 101 Switching Protocols response themselves.

If that is allowed, then the rules get a bit trickier. Not a lot trickier, but a bit.

Cory