[swift-server-dev] Prototype of the discussed HTTP API Spec

Chris Bailey BAILEYC at uk.ibm.com
Tue May 30 05:08:09 CDT 2017

Hi Paulo:

One of the things we're trying to avoid is a waterfall design approach,
requiring a fully settled API before any implementation work starts - its
much more preferable to have a reasonable starting point, make it work,
and then make it better. One of the advantages of this approach is that it
widens the funnel of participation out from "API designers" to include
users, who can try out the API and provide feedback.

The proposal that's been implemented was the result of a number of weeks
of debate on the mailing list, and as such gives us that starting point.
That doesn't mean that your proposal is ignored - in fact it gives us an
excellent list of areas that we can debate incrementally and see what the
effect would be via working use cases and performance tests.

That then gets us working and collaboration on on a single code base -
which is really the primary goal of the workgroup!

Chris