[swift-server-dev] Prototype of the discussed HTTP API Spec

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Fri May 26 18:54:42 CDT 2017

On May 27, 2017, at 1:19 AM, Paulo Faria <paulo at zewo.io> wrote:
> I'm not sure I follow your example. Cat.Animal doesn't make much sense to me while Animal.Cat makes perfect sense.

Precisely. Name it after the concrete thing, not after the abstract concept.

> When importing HTTP you know you'll deal with HTTP requests and not anything else.

HTTP servers don’t exist in the void. Your endpoint is going to do something, e.g. some other form of request. In the case of HTTP application servers this is going to be quite often an: NSFetchRequest ... well, a CoreData.Query.Request in your API naming convention …

But we can leave it at that. If people think that this is a good idea, go ahead. I recommend against it.

> most of the APIs are synchronous

If you say so. I notice exactly the reverse ;-) Most of the API in Node.js is async for sure and good reason.

> > For async you usually need some way to hold on to a buffer, and that is DispatchData
>
> Sorry can you elucidate that? If you have the pointer, you're holding the buffer aren't you? I'm not sure I follow the issue.

In a synchronous setup you usually ‘receive’ (and send) directly into a buffer and may not even need to allocate it on the heap. In a asynchronous setup you have to allocate it on the heap, because -  well, the reference/buffer needs to stay until the receive is completed. Well, and, DispatchData is a heap object optimized for that. Though I don’t know why this isn’t integrated with Data.

hh