[swift-server-dev] HTTP API Sketch v2

Colin Barrett colin at springsandstruts.com
Thu Apr 6 16:20:49 CDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:53 AM Johannes Weiß <johannesweiss at apple.com>
wrote:

Hi Colin,

Is writing compositional middleware a goal for this iteration of the API? I
noticed that the HTTPResponseWriter doesn't appear to allow for, e.g.
writing a single header and then passing the writer on (as one would do in,
say, an anti-CSRF middleware). Possible I'm missing something though!

Good point! The version 1 actually only had writeHeader(key:value:) and for
the sake of having a HTTPResponse type (that could then be used by an HTTP
client) I got rid of that. But maybe that was over the top and we should go
back to what I had before.

I think having the HTTPResponse is nice. I would suggest these changes:

writeResponse(..., finishHeaders = true)
writeHeader(...)
finishHeaders() [-> Bool] // It is an error to call writeHeader after
finishHeaders. Calling finishHeaders twice is a no-op. (Return value could
differentiates those cases?)
writeBody(...) // Calls finishHeaders()

Sorry for the brevity of my sketch, let me know if that's unclear in any
way.

Thanks,
-Colin

--
  Johannes

-Colin

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 1:36 PM Johannes Weiß via swift-server-dev <