[swift-server-dev] Next HTTP API meeting

Johannes Weiß johannesweiss at apple.com
Wed Mar 29 12:14:47 CDT 2017

Hi Helge,

> On 28 Mar 2017, at 22:12, Helge Heß via swift-server-dev <swift-server-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> On Mar 28, 2017, at 12:07 PM, Michael Chiu via swift-server-dev <swift-server-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>> I think we’re going around circles in the mailing list on type vs semantic.
>
> Well said.
>
> The opinions stated are *super* diverse. ARC object vs. value vs. inout ref vs. UnsafePointer. Mutable vs. immutable. Protocol or not. Closed enums for methods and headers, or strings, or Ints? Typed header values or not?
>
> And we didn’t even discuss body streams yet, which I still find much more interesting due to the implications they can have on the I/O model :-) Paulo already mentioned the possible need for two APIs (async/sync), which matches my experience.

As per my email where I sketch what we use internally, we only have an async API. We have higher-level stuff on that and some does actually have sync APIs but why do you think we need both a sync and an async API? If someone wants a sync web framework, that's pretty simple to put on top of an async API. So I'd argue we should only have an async API for the HTTP stuff this group proposes.

> [...]

Cheers,
  Johannes