[swift-server-dev] HTTPMethod, was: Re: Next HTTP API meeting

George Leontiev georgeleontiev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 09:48:36 CDT 2017

A few quick notes on headers:
- [HeaderKeyValuePair] (an array) may better support repeated keys and trailing headers at the parser level than a dictionary would (plus it would be more efficient to skip the dictionary representation if you interpret headers in order)
- Parsers may benefit from skipping the string representation entirely when parsing HTTP2 directly from HPACK. This may be an argument for enums, and it could even be standardized by providing explicit cases for HPACK static-lookup-table headers and then custom headers would use an associated value.
- I think types for header values would be very useful (like standardizing if a MediaRange accepts a MediaType) as well as key-value type associations ("Content-Type" is always MediaType). This extra safety can be opt-in extensions to either HeaderKeyValuePair or the Request/Response.
- Finally, if we want to standardize a dictionary-like access pattern we can provide a utility method to "normalize" a list of HeaderKeyValuePairs which would resolve duplicates.