[swift-server-dev] JSON APIs

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Thu Mar 2 04:49:02 CST 2017

Hi,

I think it should probably replace JSON deserialisation stuff, maybe the whole plist stuff, in Foundation. IMO it is common enough to actually live in Foundation.

Do we need a Swift Extended Library? I’m pretty sure we don’t. There are plenty of ‘Swift Extended Libraries’ already and users can pick the ones they like just fine. Isn’t Zewo supposed to be such a "community supported package”?

If your concern is Foundation bloat, I think the solution to this is splitting Foundation into individual submodules (like Foundation.io, Foundation.http, Foundation.json, Foundation.security, etc).
Everything which should be ‘standard Swift’ and applies to both client&server should just live in Foundation. IMO.

hh

P.S.: I’d hope that such a JSON library will properly support push-parsing/streaming, both when constructing JSON types (feed from NIO byte stream) as well as during generation of JSON (say when you fetch objects from a DB and then deliver them to a JSON client, you wouldn’t want to fetch all objects into memory to be able to generate JSON from them in a ’type-safe’ way). I don’t think this is particularly hard, but it needs to be considered, especially if the API would be sealed.