[swift-server-dev] FIPS certification

Gelareh Taban gtaban at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 21 09:57:03 CST 2017

Hi Drew,

It seems the minutes for the last meeting have not been merged yet.
Here is the PR that has the minutes.
https://github.com/swift-server/work-group/pull/72

Regards,
Gelareh

From:	Gelareh Taban via swift-server-dev <swift-server-dev at swift.org>
To:	Drew Crawford <drew at sealedabstract.com>
Cc:	swift-server-dev at swift.org
Date:	02/20/2017 02:09 PM
Subject:	Re: [swift-server-dev] FIPS certification
Sent by:	swift-server-dev-bounces at swift.org

Hi Drew,

Sorry for the delayed response. I was off for a couple of days enjoying our
30C winter in Austin :-)

Thanks for picking up on the 140 typo - I guess my eyes were error
correcting it! I will fix it.

The points you raise here are definitely ones we have tried to address in
the working group meetings so far (see
https://github.com/swift-server/work-group/tree/master/meetings/security).

The various shortcoming of OpenSSL regarding security and performance were
acknowledged but we think there is still good arguments to be made for
going with it and in particular an architecture that can take advantage of
OpenSSL code (which has compliance) and LibreSSL code (which improves
security, performance and response time). Our main concerns were:
- Use case for a server setting
- Flexibility to plug and play library (OpenSSL APIs are largely a superset
of the APIs in LibreSSL)
- Apache Licensing
- Prevalence and support on a large number of platforms

I think a lot of the points you raise can be addressed by our plug-n-play
architecture that we are interested in. LibreSSL has cleaned up a lot of
the extra code and bad defaults, and has improved performance of OpenSSL.
This was done whilst reusing a lot of APIs of OpenSSL. Our current goal is
to create an interface such that, if desired, (with minimal work) it is
possible to plug in LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL.

With these in mind, I will try to answer your questions:
0 - Yes, there are already use cases which require compliance. Server
applications, in enterprise or government settings, do require higher
compliance levels. We would like to have a solution where enterprise and
non-enterprise communities do not diverge since we can definitely benefit
from what each sector brings.
1 - Validation is really done for a compliance point of view. It does
address certain engineering methodologies, but it does not necessarily
detect bugs. That is unarguable.
2 - Having the flexibility to plug in different security libraries such as
OpenSSL and LibreSSL I believe makes our present scenario workable and
practical. Of course if we get to the point where we see that is not
doable, or that this is not acceptable and there is enough community
support, this needs to be addressed. I am with you.
3 - This is a topic that was not discussed, but I would not think that it
would be on by default. You are right that a large number of users this is
not even a consideration. However for it to be even considered for a lot of
enterprise and government settings, this option must exist.
4 - You are correct, but this is not on by default, this would impact only
use cases which require FIPS.
5 - As far as know, there are no plans for that right now.
6 - Good question. I think our current architecture can to some extent
address this, but we should talk about this.
7 - NSS has GPL license which is a problem.

I would really like to have Swift go along a good path for the community
and not just a subsection of the community. I am personally really glad you
wrote this because I share a lot of your concerns. To have Swift be
successful in the server space, we need to make sure that it can handle the
server use cases. Hence, the solution that we have come up with right now.
If you have alternate ideas or extension, please share!

I am about to send an email our about the next server security meeting
group which I sincerely hope you will join 😃

Regards,
Gelareh

Inactive hide details for Drew Crawford via swift-server-dev ---02/16/2017
06:07:23 PM---Not to start a large bikeshed, but I wDrew Crawford via
swift-server-dev ---02/16/2017 06:07:23 PM---Not to start a large bikeshed,
but I was surprised by the following statement in the README: A final