[swift-server-dev] Announcement: Official Docker Image for Swift now available

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Sun Jan 22 15:14:03 CST 2017

On 22 Jan 2017, at 21:57, Swizzlr <me at swizzlr.co> wrote:
> That's a great question. We're satisfied that the 400MB image size isn't _too_ onerous for the majority of users - especially since one of the benefits of Docker is that per host, that 400MB will only be used once (copy on write FS) - but there can never be enough done.

Well, that doesn’t address my question 'What does 'Dockerizing Swift’ mean?’. Which is why that container is even needed. Anyone can choose his base distribution on size or features and install Swift in like 3 lines of bash. What is the idea behind this? Does it anything extra beyond unpacking the tarball?

> We have an issue open that addresses this exact topic: https://github.com/swiftdocker/docker-swift/issues/48. Of particular interest is how to export a Swift binary that is statically linked; perhaps a base image containing the Swift runtime support libs (ICU, Foundation, Core etc) would be ideal.

In case this isn’t clear my primary concern is not just size but rather hackability. A Swift Server app container should really just have the stuff required to host that specific binary to avoid attack vectors.

But yes, this GitHub issue addresses the exact topic I have in mind :-)

And I don’t think it should be addressed at the Docker level. I guess the Swift tarball needs to be split up into a runtime and a development environment. Kinda like Java JRE and JDK.

> In case I haven't covered every base: the final benefit is a reproducible development environment, one that is the same on our machines and the server.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope you don’t really deploy dev environments to a server ;->

hh