[swift-server-dev] Sockets API

Michael Chiu hatsuneyuji at icloud.com
Thu Oct 27 14:07:35 CDT 2016

I have some thought about how socket should be implemented.

I think libdispatch is maybe too high-level if we are working on a socket framework we should work on just socket for the following reasons:

1. It take care of too many things.

Most of the framework exist today using different event-looping/threading model.  Some is using a listening thread and delegate works to worker threads, some is using traditional single threaded kevent/epoll to prevent callback hell, me myself use multiple threads and each thread has its own event looping etc.

2.  libdispatch make it hard to implement some protocols such as TLS, where you delegate the TLS frameworks(openssl/libressl) to handle TLS handshake, sending/writing. These frameworks require a real file descriptor to work.

3. I think the a fundamental socket framework should not use either delegate nor closure, but a overridable read() -> Data and write() function instead. Socket in general has a pretty short lifetime, if we use closure and delegate it will be harder to manage the lifetime of related objects. Such as if I open a separate unix socket to connect to some database, however the network socket closed before the response from database socket even arrived.

Having an overridable read/write method can have following advantages:
 - provide socket level optimization (sendfile, TCP_CORK, TCP_NOPUSH, etc)
 - static, prevent callback hell
 - make a socket independent.

#

I think we can take advantage of swift as a protocol oriented language and make a “SocketType" protocol, which will give us the following benefits:

1. Safety
    A C socket is fundamentally not “type safe”, there are socket binded with struct sockaddr, stream socket which can connect(), listen(), accept(), dgram sockets that cannot do such. making sockets confirm to a protocol can solve all these issue by let different kind of sockets to define different ways to approach the overall behavior we expected. And this also make the purpose of each socket much more cleaner by having different type name.

2. Extendable
  Some protocol act like another socket layer, such as TLS, by having a socket as a protocol we can define a high-level socket such as TLSSocket that when we read/write from it it will act like a normal socket. Which effectively abstract complicated protocol away from users

3. Efficiency
  By having different sockets generically different type but same protocol we simply can avoid a lot of dynamic checking in runtime.

Michael