[swift-lldb-dev] Changes to LLDB Branch Management

Chris Bieneman cbieneman at apple.com
Thu Feb 9 12:50:49 CST 2017

Hello Swift-Dev and Swift-LLDB-Dev,

Over the last couple weeks we’ve been working on some changes to the branch management strategy for the Swift-LLDB repository. The goal is to have LLDB more closely align with the other projects forked from LLVM.org <http://llvm.org/>. We believe that making this change will simplify the contribution process for LLDB’s Swift support.

To this end, we are making the following changes:

LLDB has gained an upstream-with-trunk branch which will be auto-merged from LLVM.org’s LLDB/trunk. This branch will contain the best of both worlds. The latest and greatest from LLVM.org <http://llvm.org/>, and Swift support. This branch will pair to LLVM & Clang’s upstream-with-swift branches and Swift’s master-next.

LLDB has also gained a stable branch which will behave the same way as the LLVM & Clang stable branches, and should be used for most Swift compiler development. Additionally we have made the swift-lldb/stable branch the default branch on the GitHub repository, which matches the behavior of LLVM & Clang.

LLDB’s master and master-next branches will be going away. Later today we will lock the branches, and in a few days we’ll delete them. For most users you’ll want to migrate from Swift-LLDB/master to Swift-LLDB/stable.

The new branches are already created, and the tooling will be coming online over the next few days. Additionally, the Swift contributing page (https://swift.org/contributing/#llvm-and-swift <https://swift.org/contributing/#llvm-and-swift>) has been updated to reflect the alignment of the LLDB process with the other LLVM.org <http://llvm.org/> projects.

If you have any questions about the new process or the transition please let me know.

Thank you,
-Chris