[swift-lldb-dev] Cannot use swift REPL from stand alone lldb build

Rex Fenley rex at remind101.com
Fri Oct 7 16:43:50 CDT 2016

Thanks Enrico! Is there a download at swift.org that has the patch
available or do I have to manually apply it to the source? And what about "SDK
simply try to run the lldb from the toolchain downloaded from swift.org? I
followed all the directions in https://swift.org/download/#using-downloads

Also, if I have to do this from source vs download, I tried to instead
build the toolchain from source and I was guessing that
swift/utils/build-toolchain would do it but it seems to fail with

Couldn't find llbuild source directory.

./utils/build-script: fatal error: command terminated with a non-zero exit
status 1, aborting

almost immediately... Am I going down the right path?

Thanks!

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Enrico Granata <egranata at apple.com> wrote:

> While I haven't done any diagnosing on your actual issue, I believe that
> this is a known issue, and the requisite fix is already available - even if
> only not the llvm.org side, as:

> r278166 | enrico | 2016-08-09 14:16:58 -0700 (Tue, 09 Aug 2016) | 5 lines
>
> Adjust LLDB's iOS simulator interface for changes in CoreSimulator
>
> rdar://27732333 and rdar://27732377
>
> If applying that patch doesn't help, let me know
>
> On Oct 7, 2016, at 11:57 AM, Rex Fenley via swift-lldb-dev <
> swift-lldb-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hey Jim!
>
> I downloaded the toolchain from the swift website, attached the toolchain
> to Xcode 8, rebuilt the app, ran the lldb included in the toolchain, but
> then got stuck trying to select the correct platform and simulator
>
> $ /Library/Developer/Toolchains/swift-3.0-RELEASE.xctoolchain/usr/bin/lldb
>
> (lldb) platform select ios-simulator
>
>   Platform: ios-simulator
>
>     Triple: x86_64h-apple-macosx
>
> OS Version: 10.11.6 (15G1004)
>
>     Kernel: Darwin Kernel Version 15.6.0: Mon Aug 29 20:21:34 PDT 2016;
> root:xnu-3248.60.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64
>
>   Hostname: 127.0.0.1
>
> WorkingDir: /Users/Rex/Documents/projects/swift-lldb
>
>   SDK Path: error: unable to locate SDK
>
> No devices are available.
>

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Rex Fenley <rex at remind101.com> wrote:
>
>> We're using the `swift-3.0-RELEASE` tag from the swift-lldb github repo
>> to build lldb and we are building our app with Xcode 8. Are these not the
>> same swift versions?
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Jim Ingham <jingham at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This error usually comes from some Swift component in you app not being
>>> built with exactly the same Swift compiler as the one that the lldb you are
>>> using is built with.  For instance, if you are building your own lldb, you
>>> have to use the Swift compiler that's built in the process of building lldb.
>>>
>>> If that's not the case we'll need to look at the logs generated by
>>> putting:
>>>
>>> log enable -f /tmp/lldb-log.txt lldb expr types
>>>
>>> in your ~/.lldbinit and then running your debug session.  These logs can
>>> get pretty big so it's better to file a bug and attach these logs to the
>>> bug.  Note, the logs get overwritten every time you start a debug session,
>>> so when you get the failure, grab the logs and add them to the bug you file.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jim

>>> simulator and attach to my app and when trying to try to do anything in the
>>> repl I get the following kind of error at the bottom for an Abort, please
>>> help! The repl works fine in Xcode, not sure why it wouldn't work in this
>>> case.

>>> reason = signal SIGSTOP

>>> CoreSimulator/Devices/ACC5BC4E-C7B1-4635-A591-6BE65F05B7EC/d
>>> ata/Containers/Bundle/Application/ECA295A8-DB79-4A4A-8ADE-0E616CAB0093/<App