[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0194: Derived Collection of Enum Cases

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 03:55:36 CST 2018

On 11.01.2018 1:54, Jordan Rose via swift-evolution wrote:
> [Proposal: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0194-derived-collection-of-enum-cases.md]
>
> I think this is generally reasonable, and none of the names offend me enough to weigh in on that discussion. I do think
> it's a little weird that @objc enums defined in Swift /cannot/ conform to ValueEnumerable, just because imported enums
> won't. (But especially while knee-deep in SE-0192, I think it's /correct/ that imported enums won't. The exception could
> be C enums marked `enum_extensibility(closed)`, but I'm not convinced we need that yet.)
>
> The biggest problem I have is unavailable cases. An unavailable case /must not/ be instantiated—consider an enum where
> some cases are only available on iOS and not macOS. (I bet we optimize based on this, which makes it all the more
> important to get right.)
>
> I think you should explicitly call out that the derived implementation only kicks in when ValueEnumerable is declared on
> the enum itself, not an extension. Or if that's not the case, it should be limited to extensions in the same module as
> the enum. (You could add "unless the enum is '@frozen'", but that's not really necessary.)

I'd also ask to append that information into the proposal, as IMO it is very important point.
I was under impression that we'll be allowed to retroactively conform to ValueEnumerable for frozen enums from other
modules. Wouldn't this be a very requested feature of ValueEnumerable ? I.e. when we have a module with frozen enum, but
author of that enum didn't consider conforming to ValueEnumerable for some reason.

Vladimir.