[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0194: Derived Collection of Enum Cases

Gwendal Roué gwendal.roue at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 23:26:17 CST 2018

Hello,

> Le 12 janv. 2018 à 02:36, Paul Cantrell via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> a écrit :
>
> The question I was weighing on it — what I thought Chris and Brent were discussing — was whether this new protocol should be used narrowly for cases of enums without associated types (which Chris favors), or whether it should find more broad use to mean “type which can enumerate all of its possible values” (which Brent finds interesting with caveats). This question has a bearing on whether the protocol’s name should be CaseEnumerable or ValueEnumerable.

A classic mantra on this mailing list is that stdlib protocols ought to come with generic use cases and algorithms.

Is there any such use case, for either CaseEnumerable or ValueEnumerable, that are not already covered by sequence and the various collection protocols?

Did I miss them in the proposal? Did I miss Xiaodi's post about the lack of such use cases?

Gwendal