[swift-evolution] 100% bikeshed topic: DictionaryLiteral

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Thu Jan 11 13:57:38 CST 2018

> On Jan 11, 2018, at 12:22 AM, Ted Kremenek <kremenek at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 9, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>>> IMO that isn’t a question we should be asking any more except in cases where an existing implementation is causing active harm. Which, confusing name aside, this type isn’t (aside from API sprawl I guess).
>>
>> It directly impacts code size for applications of swift that use the standard library as a standard library, e.g. a raspberry pi dev situation.
>
> I’m not arguing that we should have profligate bloat in the Standard library, but I feel that if we are seriously talking about scenarios where we want a super-svelt Standard library for particular use-cases where code size and other factors are a major concern,

No, that is not what I’m talking about at all.  Mirrors are completely wrong.  There is nothing saving them, they must be replaced.  It is now clear that isn’t going to happen this year (which is fine) but that doesn’t mean that they should be a first class part of the Swift experience “forever”.

We have an opportunity here to fix this.

-Chris