[swift-evolution] [Review] SE 0192 - Non-Exhaustive Enums

Cheyo J. Jimenez cheyo at masters3d.com
Thu Jan 4 18:28:59 CST 2018

> [...]
>>> On Jan 4, 2018, at 11:53 AM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com <mailto:xiaodi.wu at gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> Can case _ be mixed with unknown case? How can we match all compile time known cases but exclude future cases?
>>>
>>> What’s your use case for that? That eliminates the possibility of “unknown case” giving you compile-time warnings for subsequently added cases, which was the entire purpose of adding the syntax in the first place.
>>
>> I was thinking of a generalized `unknown case` pattern but that is out of scope for this proposal. <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/777/files#diff-a68dc745ee86d09566b232b6954c5158R321>
>>
>> switch excuse {
>>  case .eatenByPet :
>>    //…
>>  unknown case:
>>    // …
>>  case _:
>>    // …
>>  }
>>

>>> Should there be something like `case *` that would capture all currently known cases during compile time? case * and case _ would be the same in exhaustive enums.
>>
>> This is why I was suggesting another pattern that only captures known cases at compile time:
>>
>> switch excuse {
>>  case .eatenByPet :
>>    //…
>>  case * : //  All cases captured at compile time.
>>    // …
>>  unknown case:
>>    // …
>>  }
>>
>> Sorry, I don’t understand. However you spell it, what is your use case for this? The stated purpose of “unknown case” is to gain compile-time exhaustiveness testing, but this would not allow for that.
>

> switch (excuse, notifiedTeacherBeforeDeadline) {
> case (.eatenByPet, true):
>   // …
> case (.thoughtItWasDueNextWeek, true):
>   // …
> case (unknown case, true):
>   // …
> case (_, false):
>   // …
> }
>
> Im referring to the future direction section in the new PR <https://github.com/jrose-apple/swift-evolution/blob/6061c01fb4a6d742ba7213f46979c9b82891fc14/proposals/0192-non-exhaustive-enums.md#future-directions>. The above example if from there.
>
> I am fine with `unknown case` being required to be at the end of the switch for now.
>
> I think of `unknown case` as a pattern that only matches unknown cases no matter where on the switch it is.
>
> This is why I do not think that `default unknown` would work well once `unknown case` can be used a pattern.
>
> We can start a new thread on this if you’d like.
>
> The reason I put forward “default unknown” is precisely because the proposed feature *cannot* be used in a pattern and therefore seems more apt as not a case.

It can not be used in a pattern now but you could in the future if left as `case`.

> It actually makes it more natural to use in the given example above because “default unknown” could actually be used to provide compile-time exhaustiveness checking for such a tuple pattern, whereas without being able to use “unknown case” in a pattern you can’t write “case (unknown case, _)”.

The way `unknown case` enforces  compile-time exhaustiveness is by only matching unknown cases. The implementation may be more close to default by the virtue of being forced to go at the end of the switch statement now but that should not dictate the user experience.

> You still haven’t answered my question, though—what’s the use case for the feature you propose?

My use case would be distinguishing between compile time known cases vs “future only” cases (or unknown cases). This depends on generalized `unknown case` patterns which is out of scope. I am happy to talk more about this on a different thread when this proposal gets approved.