[swift-evolution] [Review] SE 0192 - Non-Exhaustive Enums

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Tue Jan 2 13:46:00 CST 2018

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>>
>> I am arguing that these “pseudo-exhaustive” switch statements will exist in the wild.  The crucial point of contention is whether or not the language provides assistance to the author of the 3rd party library in updating their library when the enum provided by the binary dependency changes.  Is the author forced to use a `default` case which turns of exhaustiveness checking?  Or are they able to use an alternative mechanism for handling unknown cases which does not turn off exhaustiveness checking - all statically known cases must be covered.  The most common example of such a mechanism is the `future` (or perhaps `unknown`) case which would only be used for cases that are not statically known.
>>
>> This facility will of course help authors of these switch statements make the necessary updates as the enum vended by the binary dependency changes.  It will also help alert authors of apps that depend on that 3rd party library (which will usually be a source dependency).  If the author of the app attempts to rebuild the dependency against a new SDK with added cases the library will fail to build, alerting the user that they should update the 3rd party library.
>>
>> My position is that if there are reasonable use cases for these kinds of “pseudo-exhaustive” switches then the language should provide exhaustiveness checking of statically known cases via some mechanism that authors can opt-in to using.  It’s ok with me if this is a relatively esoteric feature.  It won’t be commonly needed, but when it is necessary it will provide significant value.
>>
>> IIRC there were some reasonable examples of these kinds of switches posted in earlier threads on this topic.  I don’t have time to look those up right now either but it would be good for the core team to be aware of them before making a final decision.
>>
>> I am only aware of two arguments against this kind of “pseudo-exhaustive” switch.  One is that users should not attempt to switch over an enum that a library author does not intend to be exhaustive (i.e. it is an “input-only” enum).  The other is that a `future` or `unknown` case is not testable.
>>
>> The first argument is a moral one which I believe should not carry much weight relative to concrete, pragmatic counter-examples such as those that (IIRC) were provided on this list in the past.
>
> I think the discussion is converging on the defect here, but I disagree that the first argument is merely a "moral one"; it is an epistemological one.
>
> The epistemological dilemma is: how can the user of the library "know" all the cases when the library "author" has made it clear that even _they_ don't know all the cases? Obviously, the library user can only switch over the cases that _he or she_ knows about. And if the user has forgotten about some cases that are documented, then clearly, he or she doesn't know about it.

The purpose of the requested modification is to ensure that the user’s knowledge of cases matches the compiler’s knowledge of cases.

I disagree with your framing of the argument.  I don’t mean to split hairs, but I view it as a moral argument with an epistemological basis.  The argument says that because of the epistemological uncertainty introduced by the possibility of unknown future cases the language should not assist a developer who attempts to cover all cases that are knowable by the compiler at compilation time.  It is a judgement that such a language feature is undesirable for one reason or another.  This is fundamentally a value judgement.

> The argument here is rather that it should be possible to ensure that the user has switched over all the cases that _the compiler_ knows about. Suppose we accept the argument that we want to enable the user to deal with the largest possible set of known cases: why does it have to the compiler that does the warning? why is this not a task for a linter if so desired?

Only the compiler is able to do this with 100% accuracy.   Even if we assume that a linter is able to correctly validate this condition, the source will not have the necessary information.  How should a linter distinguish intentional use of `default` from one which is only intended to be used when a value that is not known at compile time is encountered?  This will require a pseudo-linguistic keyword comment such as `/* unknown */ default`.  I hope we can agree that encouraging linters to introduce language variations like this is undesirable.

> in what other circumstances do we insist that the compiler inform the end user about future additions to the API at compile time?

This isn’t a request for the compiler to inform the user about future additions to an API.  It is a request to validate the compiler’s knowledge of the current state of an API with the current state of the source code.