[swift-evolution] Enums and Source Compatibility

Wallacy wallacyf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 17:20:07 CST 2017

Actually this make much more sense than original proposal.

Good call!

Just to check...

Its not better this?

public enum HomeworkExcuse {
  case eatenByPet
  default case thoughtItWasDueNextWeek}

If i understood correctly, if the enum is not exhaustible, must be
considered as this default value after a new case be introduced in a new
version of the lib right?

And for this one:

public enum HomeworkExcuse {
  case eatenByPet
  case thoughtItWasDueNextWeek
  fallback unknown // any word of course right?}

In this case fallback is the same as default right? But has as explicit new
label/case?

So, this is not enough?

public enum HomeworkExcuse {
  case eatenByPet
  fallback case thoughtItWasDueNextWeek}

If the dev wants to do make a default/fallback just use them for a regular
case, if not, if he wants to make a totally different case for a fallback
just declare another one to be the default/fallback (like unknown).

I understood your idea correctly?