[swift-evolution] [Review] SE 0192 - Non-Exhaustive Enums

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Wed Dec 27 09:41:47 CST 2017

> The proposal is available here:
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0192-non-exhaustive-enums.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0192-non-exhaustive-enums.md>
> What is your evaluation of the proposal?

-1

I would much prefer the solution proposed by Andrew Bennett in another thread which solves all problems very nicely including the testability of future cases by giving them a placeholder name:

From Andrew’s mail:
> public enum HomeworkExcuse {
>   case eatenByPet
>   case thoughtItWasDueNextWeek
>   fallback unknown // NEW
> }
>
> Then I believe you would be able to have an exhaustive switch like this:
>
> switch thing {
>   case eatenByPet: break
>   case thoughtItWasDueNextWeek: break
>   case unknown: break
> }
>
> Which would still allow compile-time errors if new cases are introduced, while providing a concise way to show something is not exhaustible.
>
> This would also support existing enums with "unknown" equivalent cases would be able to explicitly label those fields as fallback without needing to make large code changes.
>
> I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use ".unknown", which should still allow this to be testable.

i.e. Andrew’s idea is to introduce a placeholder case instead of marking the enum as exhaustive/non-exhaustive. This gives the future cases a handle to be switched on and to be tested against. Very elegant.

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes, but the proposed solution is not as good as it should be, neglecting to provide compile-time errors if new cases are introduced.
> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

No, due to its shortcomings.
> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

None, but see Andrew Bennett’s idea above.
> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Followed most of the discussion and review threads.

-Thorsten