[swift-evolution] [Review] SE 0192 - Non-Exhaustive Enums

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Fri Dec 22 09:53:29 CST 2017

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Dave DeLong via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I would love to see some sort of formal API versioning that we could do instead in libraries, along with easy runtime support for checking the linked version of libraries, making it easy to strategize implementations based on version, etc.

This feature would have to be applied not only to switching on enums, but to *every* operation on a resilient value. In practice, I think it generalizes to one of:

	1. Pass a linked-against version number to every resilient call.

	2. Have a way to fetch a substitute witness table for a given module version.

Either one of these seems like a tall order.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies