[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [REVIEW] SE-0193 - Cross-module inlining and specialization

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Fri Dec 22 01:18:22 CST 2017

> On Dec 21, 2017, at 9:33 AM, Tony Parker via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> public
> public(inlinable)
> public(external) // *where we define external to be what abiPublic is now — more bike shedding welcome

I think the downside is that public(external) or whatever @abiPublic becomes actually behaves like ‘internal’ as far as name lookup is concerned — a user might be confused if they see a public(external) declaration in a source file that they cannot actually call.

Also, @inlinable @abiPublic is a totally legit combination; here is an example:

@inlinable @abiPublic func foo() -> Int {
  return 42
}

@inlinable public func bar() -> Int {
  return foo()
}

A client module can call bar() (and inline and specialize it, which in turn might inline or specialize foo()). However, it cannot directly call foo(), since foo() is not visible in the source language.

To reiterate I’m totally open to alternate spellings for both attributes — I’m just not entirely sold on tying it in with the ‘public’ keyword.

Also tying this in with access control still has the problem Chris pointed out, where once version ranges are introduced, we have several completely different syntaxes and keywords that all take version ranges.

A final data point is that we already have a precedent for <<access modifier>>(<<more stuff>>) — the private(set) and internal(set) syntax for properties and subscripts. But here the syntax is used to denote something completely different, and it might be confusing to overload it further.

Slava