[swift-evolution] Refining SE-0185: Should providing a custom == suppress the default hashValue?

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Fri Dec 15 13:42:57 CST 2017

+1.  I think there is a reasonable general principle at work here: the semantics of the implementation of a refining protocol depend upon the semantics of the implementation of a refined protocol.  For this reason the compiler should not synthesize an implementation for a refining protocol unless it also synthesizes (and can therefore reason about) the implementation of the refined protocol.