[swift-evolution] Optional Argument Chaining

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Wed Dec 13 20:53:58 CST 2017

> On Dec 13, 2017, at 10:20 AM, Stephen Celis via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 11, 2017, at 1:08 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> It’s worth mentioning that the problem this thread is discussing can be generalized to idioms / applicative.  The specific case here is for Optional but many other types could benefit from an elegant syntactic solution to this problem.  It might be worth exploring a more general solution.  Here’s a link to how this is handled in Idris: http://docs.idris-lang.org/en/latest/tutorial/interfaces.html#idiom-brackets.
>>
>> Matthew
>
> Just want to +1 a more general, less "Optional"-specific solution. You can do a ton of interesting things with applicative structure.

Chris L had a beautiful solution for an "Unwrappable" protocol that allowed all of the optional sugar to be extended to any type that had a biased `Wrapped` item, allowing it to be used with `Either`, `Wrapped`, etc as well as form the basis for `Optional` itself.

protocol Unwrappable {
    associatedtype Element
    func unwrap() -> Element?
}

I have a proposal around somewhere.(1)

-- E
(1) But then again, I have a lot of those