[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Nick Keets nick.keets at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 02:07:36 CST 2017

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:56 PM, Tino Heth via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> No specific concerns, but I’m pretty sure developers writing real code
> will come up with ideas more bizarre than anything I can think of as an
> example.
>
> During the discussion, people emphasized that dynamic features would be
> useful for more than Python interop, so if PyVal is the only way to get
> those benefits… I have no fear of JS-Bridges utilizing Python, or
> JSON-libraries build on top of PyVal — I just said that I don’t think it’s
> possible to prevent all abuses (adding restrictions might even cause abuse).

So what if they do this highly theoretical thing? Is this going to be a
superior way of programming? If yes, then let's all do it! If not, then a
superior solution will eventually emerge. Are you afraid that the community
will be "tainted" by bad code? That Foundation will be rewritten with
PyVals? And then you will be forced to write in PyVals too? What's the
issue here?