[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Sun Dec 3 12:54:01 CST 2017

> [...]
>
> 	let np = Python.import(“foo”)
> 	let pyInt = PyVal(42)
>
> or they come for parameters:
>
> 	func f(x : PyVal) {
>
> The place that is potentially surprising is when the type gets buried because you’re working with some API that returns a [String, PyVal] dictionary or something:
>

> 	let x = foo()[“someKey”]
>
> and you don’t realize that PyVal’s are involved.  However, if you are actively writing the code, you have access to code completion and other things that tell you these types, and if it is important for the clarity of the code, you write this instead:
>
> 	let x :PyVal = foo()[“someKey”]
>
> There is nothing specific to this proposal about this issue.
>

>> I’m uncertain what the right answer is.  I’m still not really comfortable with opening up dynamic lookup to any user-defined type without some way to indicate to readers that dynamic lookup is happening in a piece of code.  Maybe there is a less localized annotation that would indicate dynamic lookup is in effect for a larger chunk of code.
>
> You seem to be extremely concerned that people will adopt DynamicMemberLookup for types where it doesn’t make sense and abuse the feature.  I am having a real problem understanding what your concern is, so I’d really love for you to explain some theoretical examples of the bad thing that happens: why someone (non-maliciously) adopts the protocol, what code gets written, and what harm actually comes from it.
>
> Let me use a made up tale from a parallel universe to illustrate why I don’t understand your concern.  Imagine if Swift didn’t already interoperate with C, and did not already have IUOs.  Someone who cared about C language interoperability would quickly realize that the ergonomics of importing everything as strong optionals is a non-starter, jeopardizing the usability of C interop, and would propose IUOs as a feature.
>
> We’d then have a long and drawn out conversation about the various options on how to model this, the pros and cons of each, and would settle on IUO as the least bad design (as an aside, in our universe, when we went through the design process that led to IUOs, this is exactly what happened, we even considered syntaxing them as interobangs :-).
>
> At that point, there would be a general uproar because IUOs have high potential for abuse: Swift is “all about” strong types and safety, which IUOs undermine.  Strong optionals are considered a pain to use by some people and widely misunderstood (I think they are the biggest challenge in learning Swift in practice), and so it is a reasonable feature that people could pervasively adopt IUOs, leading to a much worse world all around.
>

> This made up parallel universe is exactly analogous to what is happening now.  DynamicMemberLookup is no more dangerous and harmful than IUOs are.

The difference is that IUOs are marked by a "!“ whereas dynamic member lookups look just like normal member lookups but unlike them can fail.
With the exception of corner cases like indexed lookups or arithmetic overflow Swift marks places where something can fail with "!“ or "Unsafe“ prefixes or "try“ or "?“. The latter examples are even protected from runtime failure (crashes) because the type system enforces handling the failing case. Nonetheless we put the "try“ and "?“ to mark those places (and with good reason).
One might even say that indexed lookups are marked by special syntax ("[…]“).

Now DynamicMemberLookup would introduce a new possibility where something can fail with a runtime crash and it is *not* visible that this can happen there. A typo in the member name is sufficient to trigger a crash (at least the PythonPlayground did crash when I changed a name being looked up - will this change? Probably not because there is nothing it could sensibly do!).

This is not possible in current Swift and therefore it should be visible somehow.

-Thorsten