[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Random Unification

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Sat Dec 2 20:29:51 CST 2017

> On Dec 2, 2017, at 6:02 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> My point is that our entire design process has been geared towards a reasonable, best-effort general-use API: It is being designed by community members who are not specialized in this particular subfield. It is explicitly being design for common, general use cases in mind. And the implementation will come with no guarantee as to suitability for crypto, nor should it have to.

+1.

Even if we tried to make an RNG for crypto use it would not be widely used for crypto because it would not be good enough for someone who really really cares.  At the same time, general users would suffer due to the design decisions aligned at making it suitable for crypto.

In the end, it would not serve either audience well.  It is better to acknowledge up front that the goal of the stdlib is “general use” and optimize to ensure that use case is well served.

-Chris