[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Sat Dec 2 11:39:09 CST 2017

>> I’ve addressed both of these issues above. The approach I am proposing requires no language or compiler support, works with existing Swift tooling, fits with an existing notion in the language (AnyObject), and can be implemented via a Python script.
>
> I’m very confused, are you suggesting a preprocessor, or something actually integrated with the compiler?  The goal here is to provide something with acceptable usability that encourages exploration and playing around.

I can’t answer the question (although I have a theory ;-), but imho "exploration and playing around“ benefits quite a lot from proper code completion.
So whatever solution is chosen, it probably will require library specific glue-code for the best user experience (assuming that we actually need a solution — I personally have no need for Python interop, and I don’t know how big general interest is).

The two proposals might help writing that glue code, but I’m not sure they are that important when a generator is used to create the bindings.