[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Nov 30 16:44:16 CST 2017

> [...]
>>
>> As noted at the end of my message, I think one can write a Swift library to make working with the Python runtime much easier, and write a wrapper generator that produces Swift APIs from Python code that use said Swift library.
>
> That might be true for Python; I’m quite certain it’s not the case for Ruby or JS as they exist in the wild. However…
>
> At the risk of stating a universally unpopular opinion, beyond interop with dynamic languages such as Python, there’s also value in dynamic member lookup for •purely Swift-centric• reasons.
>
> I say this with mixed feelings. I share Douglas’s concerns about breaking Swift’s safety bubble. I like it that the language generally makes it clear •at the point of use• which language features have runtime pitfalls that the compiler cannot check. The points where this is not true of the language (e.g. array subscripts) always feel a bit gritty between the teeth.
>
> There can, however, be great value in constructing type membership at runtime. The ergonomic access to JSON that’s been discussed in this proposal is nothing to sneeze at. Dynamic languages make for lovely DSLs in a way that fully statically type checked languages never do. Things like Rails’s programmatically generated named routes (e.g. “user_post_path(id)” because routing configuration created a user resource with nested posts) are possible to approximate with statically typed approaches — but only clumsily, never with the same expressiveness and concision.
>
> I don’t mean to sneeze at the downside of dynamic typing either. They too are nothing to sneeze at. I’ve spent many years on both sides of the dynamic divide, and all I see is difficult tradeoffs.
>
> Swift so far has said that dynamism isn’t worth the tradeoffs; it’s aggressively avoided even robust runtime reflection, much less dynamic dispatch. That may indeed be the right call for the language — but I’m not easily convinced there isn’t room to open the door wider.
>
> I think of Chris’s post back in the early days of this list about the “programmer model” the language creates, and wonder if there’s a way we can’t make a model that leaves the door open to this kind of dynamic dispatch where it makes sense for the people and situation at hand, while still staying true to the language’s spirit of “compile-time safety by default, exceptions to that by intent at point of use.”
>
> Opening the door to dynamism might take some of the flavor of the way the language currently handles unsafe memory access: it’s possible and even reasonably ergonomic, but you always know when you’ve crossed the Rubicon into Dangerland.

I would really like to see Swift gain more dynamic capabilities eventually.  I wrote a lot of Ruby years ago and really enjoyed some aspects of it.

On the other hand, I do want to see us be very deliberate about adding them and do it in the right way and only when we are confident that we have identified the right feature(s) and designs for them.  If that means waiting a while I would rather wait than have regrets later.  If we can identify a design that feels appropriate for Swift and decide now is the time to introduce it I will be happy with that, but the timeline shouldn’t be prioritized higher than getting the design right.

The absolute minimum criteria I have for something I would consider worth taking a close look at is making dynamic member lookup clear at the call site as Zach Wolfe suggested earlier.  If you have other ideas about how to make it clear when you’ve “crossed the Rubicon into Dangerland” I am interested in hearing about them.

I am not sure whether I would be convinced that a design like this is the right thing to do or not but am willing to give it deeper consideration.  I would also like to see the direction Doug alluded to explored in detail.  The alternatives need to be in explored enough depth that we can evaluate their relative strengths and weaknesses.  That hasn’t happened yet.