[swift-evolution] Synthesizing Equatable, Hashable, and Comparable for tuple types

Joe Groff jgroff at apple.com
Tue Nov 28 12:59:09 CST 2017

> On Nov 28, 2017, at 10:52 AM, Vladimir.S <svabox at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In my opinion, you’re approaching this from the wrong direction.  The fundamental problem here is that tuples can’t conform to a protocol.  If they could, synthesizing these conformances would be straight-forward.
>> It would be a tractable intermediate problem to introduce built-in conformances for tuples (and perhaps metatypes) to Equatable/Hashable/Comparable without breaching the more general topic of allowing these types to have general protocol conformances. I think that would cover the highest-value use cases.
>
> So, shouldn't we do this first step ASAP and then design a good common solution to allow tuples/metatypes/funcs to confirm to custom protocols in some next version of Swift?
> I really believe this is the good practical decision and will be supported by community if such proposal will be on the table.
> Is there any drawback in such step?

The expected behavior of tuple Equatable/Hashable/Comparable seems obvious to me (though I could well be missing something), and any behavior we hardcode should be naturally replaceable by a generalized conformance mechanism, so it's primarily a "small matter of implementation". There would be some implementation cost to managing the special case in the compiler and runtime; the tradeoff seems worth it to me in this case, but others might reasonably disagree. Not speaking for the entire core team, I would personally support considering a proposal and implementation for builtin tuple Equatable/Hashable/Comparable conformance.

-Joe