[swift-evolution] [Pre-pitch] Conditional default arguments

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Tue Nov 28 00:34:17 CST 2017

> On Nov 27, 2017, at 3:38 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> You are effectively proposing that in this very narrow case we perform overload resolution on a symbol in a generic type context *after* the generic type has been replaced with a concrete type.

Keep in mind that in general, this would require runtime support — we don’t always know the concrete substitution for a generic parameter at compile time, especially in the presence of separate compilation (but even without, for instance when optimizations are not enabled or unable to recover concrete type information).

Slava